My Granny would say “I didn’t know you could do that!”. She said this when she was impressed with what you did. It was a high compliment from her.
My last project was definitely worthy of my Granny’s “I didn’t know you could do that!” I made coordinating fancy spring outfits for my daughter and her friend. The boy’s trousers and vest had welt pockets!!! I heard my Granny from heaven saying to me “I didn’t know you could do that!”….. well Granny, I didn’t know I could make welt pockets either, but I can!
To show off the March Sew Along Project at Whimsical Fabric, I stitched up the Easter Outfits Project Kit for my daughter (5yo) and her friend (7yo) using Art Gallery fabrics. (see the Christmas PJ Project HERE)
The dress is in Art Gallery Petal and Plume Zinnia Floral for the over skirt and Squared Lime for the under skirt. The vest is in Art Gallery Rumpled Sour and Pure Elements Nocturnal. The pants are in Fabric Finders Navy Twill.
The girl’s dress is the Addison Dress Pattern from Patty Young’s Modkid. It has 3 buttons on the front of the fully lined bodice. The sleeves are super puffy with an arm band. There is a bow that ties in the back of a stylish tiered skirt that pulls up on each side to show off the under skirt.
The boy’s trousers and vest are the Art Museum Pattern from Oliver+S. The trousers have a faux fly, flat front with elastic back waist band, front pockets, belt loops, and back welt pockets. The vest is fully lined with 5 buttons, a belt at the back with 2 buttons, and styles 2 welt pockets.
The boy’s bow tie is from the Dapper Pattern by Modkid. It is adjustable with a back clip.
You can make these outfits too!!! You can purchase the project kits – meaning EVERYTHING is pulled, packaged, and ready to go for you – from Whimsical Fabric. You just put it together either working on your own, or JOIN the Sew Along to get that extra support. Danielle puts together an incredible Sew Along series. She posts lessons with super helpful pictures to help complete the project. Join the Facebook group HERE.
For me, the outfits were challenging to stitch up so I learned a TON. Both Modkid and Oliver+S patterns are on my 2015 Intentions list as Learning Tools to improve my sewing technique. This was such an AWESOME OPPORTUNITY! And I am so very proud of the results.
However, I did make a few dumb mistakes that I will warn you of – first, I cut the birds upside down on dress. I noticed after the bodice was sewn together. I was under a tight deadline, so I re-cut the skirt, but left the upside down birds. I hope no one thinks they are bats.
Then, I sewed the skirts on backwards – meaning I put the over skirt on the under side, and the under skirt on top.…. Geez I hated that mistake because I didn’t notice until I had serged the seams and flipped it right side out. The dress was complete except for that heartbreaking mistake. The dress sat on the shelf for 2 days until I could face picking out the stitches.
On the trousers, I struggled with the interfacing. Maybe I installed it correctly, but I didn’t expect to still be able to see the white interfacing on the inside of the back pockets. I will be watching the Sew Along instructions to see how that should have worked out.
So be warned… always check the fabric pattern direction before cutting, always check that the correct right sides are together before stitching, and always, always, always check the stitching BEFORE serging.
Oh and the photo shoot… these kids had so much fun! (see more pics in my Flickr Album HERE)
Again… I am so proud of this project… this is truly one of my FAVORITES (so far). And the patterns made darling clothes perfect for Easter and other springtime fun. I really didn’t know I could do this – but look, I did.
Thanks Danielle! LOVE your Project Kits!!!
and Thanks Mom for helping me pick fabrics!